The Kings Arms Hotel began life as the George, a 16th Century coaching inn.
Later called The George & Dragon, the inn stood on a rough track which Dick Turpin & Jack Shrimpton are believed to have frequented. Coaches would have broken their journeys for fresh horses and refreshments for the passengers.
In March 1660 King Charles II came to Stokenchuch, stopping at The George with both Queen Catherine and his paramour, Nell Gwynn. Charles thought the inn unfit for his Queen, who was accommodated in a tent on the common: he had no such qualms about Nell, and took her with him to the George.
Henceforth, the Inn was known as The Kings Arms and is now known affectionately as "The Kings"